Dairy-Free Banana Wheat Bread
Prep Time Cook Time Total Time
20 mins 55 mins 1 hr 15 mins
2 cups whole wheat flour
¼ cup nutrigrainTM wheat germ
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1½ cups mashed bananas
½ cup honey
¼ cup extra-light olive oil (or your baking oil of choice)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional - can be replaced with dairy-free chocolate chips, raisins or cranberries)
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF. Grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan and optionally line it with a sheet of parchment paper that overhangs on the long pan sides.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, wheat germ, baking soda, and salt. Make a well in dry ingredients.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the mashed banana, honey, oil, and vanilla with a hand mixer until relatively smooth. Add the eggs and beat to combine.
- Pour the wet mixture into the well of the dry ingredients, and stir just until combined. Fold in the nuts, if using.
- Scrape the batter into your prepared pan and even it out.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.
- Let the banana wheat bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes, and then remove it to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once completely cool, wrap the loaf tightly in plastic wrap and enjoy within 2 days. For longer storage, the bread can be frozen.
Recipe sourced from:
Go Dairy Free: The Guide and Cookbook by Alisa Fleming